Thursday 29 August 2024

Manaiakalani Maths practise Intensive - Day 5

Today focus on the MPI was Algebra.




Vocabulary

I was reminded of the vast amount of vocabulary students need to comprehend in order to understand algebraic thinking and reasoning. 


This has got me wondering how I can go about ensuring my students are being exposed to this vocabulary regularly. A good example of this is number properties as listed below. While my students have experienced these properties they would not be familiar with the names of the properties. I will be endeavouring to teach vocabulary more explicitly with my students. 



Equations, Patterns and Relationships

I was also reminded about giving my students multiple opportunities in a variety of contexcts to recognise and analyse patterns and relationships. Progressing from recognising and predicting patterns to generalising and identifying rules. I got some interesting new ideas to try with my students that I suspect both them and I will find engaging.






 


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Rob,
    Vocabulary seems to be the key component that all teachers are commenting on in their blog posts. Mathematics is a language of its own and has lots of vocabulary for students to learn. I often talk about transferring what we do in literacy across to mathematics when it comes to learning new vocabulary. I agree with your comment on making it more explicit. Also when your students are blogging about their maths ask them to include the vocabulary. Have a list of words for them to use. Please share and tell us how your variety of contexts and activities go for recognising and analysing patterns and relationships and predicting patterns to generalising and identifying rules. Have a good week.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Manaiakalani Maths practise Intensive - Day 5

Today focus on the MPI was Algebra. Vocabulary I was reminded of the vast amount of vocabulary students need to comprehend in order to under...