Tuesday 22 August 2023

Reading Practise Intensive - Day 8 Reflection

CREATE, CREATE, CREATE was the focus of today's Reading Practise Intensive session. 

If I'm honest, recently I have not been using create tasks as frequently or effectively as I used to. Today was a great reminder of the way a well planned create task, can engage and empower children and help embed the learning for them. 

One barrier to create tasks is the amount of time they take, however today we were introduced to some short create tasks that could be completed in 1 or 2 sessions. I am intrigued by these and look forward to using them, and others like them, in the coming weeks.



Another aspect that caught my attention was the idea of children working collaboratively and placing themselves inside the create task, e.g their image or voice. I have done this in the past with children, writing and recoding raps/songs together, however this took a while. I am keen to explore shorter create tasks where children work together and have themselves inside it - much like the image below.  



All in all this session gave me a lot to think about and has given me the shake up I needed to plan some amazing create tasks for my kids - my goal is make this sustainable.

 

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Rob

    I really like your Term 3, redesigned black and yellow, multimodal task board for learners. In particular, the ‘tighter’ learning design on the ‘do’ would seem to support a higher efficiency ratio while not compromising on the high expectations and choice. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on whether the design has afforded any efficiencies, or unintended pressures, on planning time. I also have enjoyed browsing through the country research task this week, with the strong mix of create and learn with collaborative opportunities. I look forward to following these through to learners’ blogs.

    It’s great that you found some of the stencils and organisers from Day 8 to be useful resources for future create tasks. Your reflection on create ‘falling off’ is supported by our 2023 observation data. Looking back at your planning in Week 4 for Jazzmaster, for example, do you think there would be a purposeful Create task you could now add relatively easily to the response-to-text incorporating a ‘stencil’ approach?

    Looking forward to Day 9 graduation!

    Nga mihi
    Naomi R.
    Literacy Facilitator - Manaiakalani Reading Practice Intensive

    ReplyDelete

Reading Practise Intensive - Day 9 Sharing

The 9th, and final day, of the Reading Practise Intensive was just as informative as the others. My big takeaway and challenge was around fe...